Friday, September 20, 2013

American Flag Rag Quilt

So here is the not so short version of the story.

On September 11th I decided I should be somewhat patriotic so I got on Facebook and posted a picture of this flag quilt.


I got lots of comments asking if I had made it and one comment saying that they really wanted it! So I started the process of making my own pattern and in my study and research I found that it was already a pattern. So I purchased it to prevent any future copyright issues. While I was waiting for it to come through snail mail I continued working on what I had come up with.  I finished the stripes and couldn't figure out how to do the stars. I contacted the company to see if they could give me a hint while I waited for my package in the mail. They have super awesome customer service and emailed me back the same day with a PDF version of the whole pattern! Wow!  The bad news was that the stars on their quilt were printed on their fabric. They just did a little bit of applique edging to help it stand out. Well I was too far for that.

Lucky for me though I just joined a quilt guild and at the meeting that night I asked for their advice and they gave me a suggestion that I just loved!


I cut out two little squares of white fabric and pinned them to the blue over a grid I drew in chalk. Then I sewed them on using a tiny circle stitch. So when you turn the quilt over you see little white circles.

This is how it looks after washing!



I love it and I hope my customer loves it too!

10 comments:

Monica Lynn said...

Also love it!

Unknown said...

Love your stars better! How big are the squares for them?

Becky said...

Thanks Janette! Each square is about 1.25 inches square. I did two squares for each star and clipped the edges before washing.

Unknown said...

Do you have a pic of the back? Did you use the same fabric as the front?

Becky said...

Yep, there is a picture of the back on the Etsy listing. It is the same red white and blue fabric as the front.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/165389694/american-flag-rag-lap-quilt-in-country?ref=listings_manager_table

Unknown said...

I was wondering do you still have the pattern. If so do you think you could share it with me. My daughters boyfriend is graduating boot camp and she wants to get pictures done and would like for me to make this for her photo shoot.

Becky said...

I got the pattern from the link above In the top of the blog post. The person who makes the pattern does a great job with it and it would be better to get it from her. Congrats to the graduate! What a great idea for a photo shoot!

Unknown said...

How much would you charge to make me one? Thank you! -Stacy

Becky said...

Here is a link to the listing on my etsy shop. I would be happy to make one for you! The information is all there.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/165389694/american-flag-rag-lap-quilt-in-country?ref=shop_home_active_1

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I made this quilt with my High School students several years ago for a fund raising project. We had a terrific time and raised several thousand dollars! Goes fast and looks Awesome! The person that won the quilt had a son overseas in the military! Still touches my heart!