Monday, February 27, 2017

Another Baby Quilt

I have another cute niece or nephew coming in a couple weeks. This family has lots of fun when the new baby arrives because they don't ever find out the gender till the baby arrives. Then they like to torture the rest of the family for a while till they finally reveal to us the name and gender of the new arrival. Its torture, but it is fun. 

When they announced their first baby I was struggling trying to figure out what kind of baby quilt to make for them. I didn't want to just make some thing neutral. I wanted it to be fun. At the time, they lived a few states away from the rest of the family. So I finally decided to make quilt that was a map of the United States. It was quilted around each state line. It even had tiny hearts quilted around their city and around the city where the rest of us lived. Definitely a test of my free motion quilting skills. 

For their second child I kept with the theme and did a map of the world. It didn't have the country borders printed on it, but I followed the continental borders. The oceans had loads of swirls and drifts in it. 

The child coming soon is baby number three. So I have to follow the theme! This one is a map of the solar system.


It took some time to find a panel that I liked. This one really got me. Yes, its not accurate because it still identifies Pluto as a planet, but I don't care.


I followed the orbital lines then expanded it outward. I loved doing this with my walking foot.


On the back I used some awesome tie dyed flannel. It is super soft and it is the first time I used flannel as a backing.


The next time they have a baby, I might have to find a panel of some constellations, or the Milky Way. I love this theme!

No comments: